LOCAL NEWS

Fire displaces family of nine — what happened and how they’re moving forward

Dec 13, 2023, 5:42 PM | Updated: Dec 14, 2023, 8:13 am

EAGLE MOUNTAIN — The charred remains of a house in Eagle Mountain serve as a reminder of what happened on Sunday.

Katherine Zitting is still coming to terms with her family’s loss and what was saved after their garage went up in flames.

“I think I’m still in shock,” Zitting said.

She had been setting up Christmas lights while her family worked on their snowmobiles in the garage. Gas leaked down to a space heater and it suddenly caught fire.

“I saw them as they came running out of the garage with a brother and his leg on fire,” Zitting said.

Fire crews arrived within minutes, but the garage, snowmobiles and truck were gone. Even the siding of their neighbor’s house had started to melt from the flames.

“The garage is completely gutted,” said Zitting. “There’s just the shells of the snowmobiles.”

Yet, all nine who were living in the home were safe and the house itself is not a complete loss.

She and her family of four are with Zitting’s sister-in-law as they wait for their insurance to help provide a place for them to stay. Demolition crews will take down the garage and start the process of rebuilding. The damage is extensive and the Zittings may need a completely new roof.

As they wait, their community has reminded them they’re not alone by bringing blankets and setting up supply drives.

“It’s been crazy,” said Zitting. “I just don’t really have words for how blessed we are.”

Zitting created a GoFundMe* to help cover the costs.


*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Matt Gephardt speaking to Thelissa Mead about Hyundai not responding to her claims and getting her ...

Matt Gephardt

Get Gephardt helps Utah Hyundai owner seeking reimbursement for overestimated fuel economy

A major automaker was accused of saying their cars get better mileage than they really do, And they promised to pay their customers back. But when one Utah customer wasn't, she decided to Get Gephardt.

1 hour ago

Five pharmacists from  Smith’s Food and Drug were given awards for saving a man's life. (Andrew A...

Andrew Adams

Smith’s workers recognized by Sandy City for helping to save a life

Five pharmacists at Smith’s Food and Drug, 2039 E. 9400 South, were recognized by Sandy City for helping to save a man’s life.

1 hour ago

Handcuffs in a jail cell. (Ravell Call/Deseret News)...

Michael Houck

Police: Motorcyclist found with ‘fresh blood on his face’ after allegedly shooting another driver

A motorcyclist allegedly followed a car after a physical fight and shot at the car's driver multiple times before fleeing the scene, police say.

2 hours ago

A family was safe after their Springville home caught fire Thursday. (Springville Fire and Rescue)...

Carlysle Price

Springville family displaced after house fire

 A mom and her two children were safe but displaced after their Springville home caught fire Thursday near 300 East.

2 hours ago

(KSL TV)...

Gitanjali Poonia, Deseret News

Owens leads legislation to rename Santaquin post office in honor of fallen officer

Utah Rep. Burgess Owens introduced legislation Wednesday to rename the Santaquin post office at 20 W. Main in honor of Santaquin Police Sgt. Bill Dean Hooser, who was killed on May 5.

3 hours ago

The garage on fire near 9100 S Hummingbird Lane....

Logan Stefanich, KSL.com

‘We don’t want to get hit by a bullet’: Crews respond to Sandy fire containing ammo, gunpowder

A detached garage containing raw gunpowder and a "significant amount" of ammunition caught fire in Sandy on Thursday, leading to a hazardous situation for responding firefighters.

3 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Fire displaces family of nine — what happened and how they’re moving forward