LOCAL NEWS

After boy killed in West Point explosion, fire officials urge education about fire danger

Feb 21, 2024, 6:38 PM | Updated: Feb 22, 2024, 8:09 am

WEST POINT — Family members and friends have confirmed the identity of a 12-year-old boy who died after an outdoor fire explosion earlier this week as Treyson Porter.

According to the North Davis Fire District, Treyson accidentally set off an explosion when he brought a gas can near a backyard fire pit on Monday afternoon in the area of 940 N. 5000 West in West Point.

Family friends, who requested not to be named, said the boy was just trying to make hot dogs. His mother, Holly Porter, was unaware the boy was outside until he caught on fire.

North Davis Fire District Fire Chief Mark Becraft said the boy poured gasoline into the fire, setting off an explosive incident.

“If you’re pouring it directly on a fire, it will travel up the stream to the canon and explode,” Becraft said. “It’s still under investigation but I suspect that’s what happened. Because he appeared to be totally engulfed in flames and that would be the fuse.”

Fire officials said Holly Porter rushed to save Treyson but she was also seriously injured. Treyson sustained second- and third-degree burns on 50% to 80% of his body.

Fire officials said the fire was already out when they arrived at the home, but they found the two victims in serious condition. Treyson later died at Primary Children’s Hospital.

“Treyson was kind and friendly to everyone. He was not someone to get in an argument. He was the go-to person in math and was always excited to share his answers. Everyone loved him, and he is missed by all,” said Marjorie Conrad, Treyson’s principal at West Point Elementary School.

According to Davis School District spokesman Christopher Williams, a crisis response team from the district held counseling meetings and small grief groups with students at the school as needed. Every student that was seen had their parents contacted, Williams said.

Another incident

The incident is the second fire accident involving a young person in the last two weeks. On Feb. 10, another 12-year-old boy accidentally set his leg on fire in Hurricane when he poured gas onto a campfire, according to the Hurricane Valley Fire District.

That boy survived with second- and third-degree burns to 8% of his body, focused on his leg and foot. He was taken to a burn unit in Las Vegas for treatment.

“It’s a tragedy for the family and I can see if we don’t get the prevention message out and education to families and parents — and the young children — I can see this happening again very easily,” Becraft said.

Fire officials warn against using gasoline due to its extremely flammable nature.

“Gasoline is not meant for starting fires,” Becraft said

When used properly, Becraft said lighter fluid is safer for outdoor fires as well as kindling. In case of fire, they encourage parents to teach kids about stop, drop and roll.

Good video on stop, drop and roll from the San Jose Fire Deptartment:

As for the Porters, family friends said they have been through several challenges in recent years. Holly Porter suffered a serious horse-riding accident 10 years ago and the family’s home burned down seven years ago.

A GoFundMe* page has been set up for the family.


*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

Campfire explosion in West Point kills 12-year-old boy, mother sent to hospital

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

One of two controlled detonations of old dynamite is seen in Holladay on April 24, 2024. (KSL TV)...

Josh Ellis

Crews detonate ‘ancient dynamite’ sticks found in Holladay home

Hazmat crews detonated old explosives that were found in a Salt Lake County home early Wednesday morning after evacuating dozens of nearby houses.

3 hours ago

Summer travel is about to take flight. That means a whole lot of points and miles being used and ea...

Matt Gephardt and Sloan Schrage

Thieves are going after your frequent flier mileage: how you can safeguard those miles and points

Summer travel is about to take flight. That means a whole lot of points and miles being used and earned, and cybercriminals know it.

11 hours ago

One of the tennis courts that used to be available to the public but now closed due to repeated van...

Debbie Worthen

Some Salt Lake high school facilities closed to the public due to irresponsible dog owners

The Granite School District says irresponsible dog owners are forcing the closure of some high school tennis courts that used to be open to the public.

11 hours ago

A fire at an egg farm in Lewiston has resulted in a response from as far as Franklin, Idaho. (Brian...

Dan Rascon

Egg farm catches fire in Lewiston, prompting a fire response from as far as Franklin, Idaho

A four-alarm fire at the Oakdell Egg Farm in Lewiston left scores of chickens dead on Tuesday.

11 hours ago

Winnie Quilter's dad's 1982 BMW 320I that was set a blaze during Tuesday morning fires....

Garna Mejia

Four fires near downtown Salt Lake City prompts an arson investigation

Fire investigators are looking for someone suspected of starting several fires in the downtown area early Tuesday morning.

13 hours ago

FILE (KSL TV)...

Lindsay Aerts

Utah State Board of Education clarifies districts are in charge of bathroom law implementation

The Utah State Board of Education is clarifying that it's up to school districts to decide how they implement a new bathroom law in schools that requires students to use the bathroom of their gender assigned at birth

13 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why Printer Security Should Be Top of Mind for Your Business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light Up Your Home With These Top Lighting Trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for Hassle-Free Computer Repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Close up of finger on keyboard button with number 11 logo...

PC Laptops

7 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Laptop to Windows 11

Explore the benefits of upgrading to Windows 11 for a smoother, more secure, and feature-packed computing experience.

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

After boy killed in West Point explosion, fire officials urge education about fire danger