Wednesday’s Child: ‘I just hope there is a family out there for me’
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Just like in life, at the race track there are rules.
“You need to take the corners slower,” explained a track employee to 15-year-old DJ. “When you’re coming around this corner, go wide and smooth.”
There are guidelines to help you succeed.
“This is going to be fun,” exclaimed DJ, as he put on a helmet and hopped into a car.
On Wednesday, those rules and guidelines came from a vigilant employee.
“I need to get that seatbelt around you,” he said to DJ.
However, in the real world, navigating the twists and turns of being a teenager is supposed to be guided by a loving parent. That’s something DJ doesn’t have.
“I went to group homes, foster homes and foster care” DJ said. “I’m still with DCFS now.”
DJ entered foster care at just 6 years old, and he’s been there ever since.
“I thought that since I was so little, I was going to be this perfect kid for a perfect family,” DJ explained. “So far, that still hasn’t happened.”
Despite all the bumps in the road, moving from home to home, this teen is still not angry.
“I just feel like that’s how it was meant to be,” he said.
He has hopes life in state custody isn’t going to last much longer.
“I just hope there is a family out there that is right for me,” he said. “I think every kid wants a family to have someone to look up to.”
To learn more about DJ, contact the Utah Adoption Exchange at 801-265-0444 or visit their website, adoptex.org.
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 33337)
- Utah Teacher Hospitalized After Breaking Back On Vacation (pageviews: 7519)
- Political Opponents For Utah Governor Release Joint Ads Calling For Civility (pageviews: 6796)
- Intermountain COVID-19 PSA: 'There's A War Going On' (pageviews: 4897)
- Provo Man Shot By Family Member Who Thought He Was Intruder, Police Say (pageviews: 4105)
- Utah Reports 314 Current Hospitalizations, 1,363 New COVID-19 Cases, 6 New Deaths (pageviews: 2088)
- KSL Investigators Win Fight For More Info On COVID-19 In Utah’s Care Centers (pageviews: 2016)
- Woman Missing For 2 Weeks Found Safe In Zion National Park (pageviews: 1408)
- Parents Of 545 Children Separated At Border Can't Be Found (pageviews: 1392)