Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A third-party investigation is underway after a man on parole was shot and killed by officers from the Metro Gang Unit late Thursday night in downtown Salt Lake City.
The officers with the gang unit had tracked two vehicles into an alleyway at 450 East and 300 South.
“At one point our officers were out of the car,” said Sgt. Melody Gray with Unified police. “Some kind of confrontation occurred and shots were fired.”
Two officers fired the shots, Gray said. One officer is with the Unified Police Department and the other is with the Saratoga Springs Police Department.
The suspect, whose name has not been released, died as he was being transported to the hospital.
“They had this individual under investigation for some recent felony crimes that have been committed,” said Chief Andrew Burton with the Saratoga Springs Police Department. “They located him and began to follow him, and they followed him to this location. They were attempting to apprehend him along the way.”
A man who lives nearby said he heard between five and 10 really loud bangs and thought it could be fireworks. He looked outside and saw the police activity.
“There were about six police officers in what appeared to be plain clothes, all with their guns drawn on this black two-door sedan,” the man said.
Because this was an officer-involved shooting, West Valley City’s police department was called in to conduct an independent investigation.
One officer involved in the shooting was treated at the hospital for a knee injury, according to Gray.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)