University Of Utah Seeks Dismissal Of $56M Suit Over Death
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The University of Utah has asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the parents of a slain student.
The family of Lauren McCluskey filed the $56 million suit against the university in June, saying the school hasn’t taken responsibility for the death of their daughter last October at the hands of her ex-boyfriend.
The complaint also names as defendants the then-chief of the university’s police department and others.
Lawyers for the university argue that McClusky’s family doesn’t have grounds to sue the school.
The motion to dismiss argues the school does not have substantial control over a person who isn’t affiliated with the university.
The Deseret News reports that an independent review panel has concluded that it was impossible to say whether McCluskey’s death could have been prevented.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)