Share this story...
Latest News
Latest News

UHP Releases New Video Of Fatal State Street Shootout

SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – One year after a shoot-out with officers on State Street resulted in the death of a West Valley City man, the Utah Highway Patrol has completed its internal investigation into the officer-involved critical incident and released two new videos that document the event.

UHP officials released video from the dashcam of one trooper’s patrol vehicle, and the body-worn camera video of another.

Both troopers responded to the call on April 8, 2019 when authorities said 37-year-old Harold Vincent Robinson led law enforcement officers on a chase after the suspect robbed two convenience stores at gunpoint.

Investigators said Robinson fired multiple shots at a downtown hotel, then began “firing indiscriminately” throughout downtown Salt Lake City as police chased him, pointing an assault rifle out the window at officers.

According to the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office, Robinson fired approximately 50 rounds in total.

Bodycam Video

Warning: Some may find this video disturbing.

The chase lasted 19 minutes along State Street ,from about 500 South to 3300 South, where the chase ended when a law enforcement officer’s vehicle hit Robinson’s truck, causing him to lose control and crash into a business there.

The new video showed almost 10 minutes of the chase from one trooper’s dashcam, and the events immediately following the crash.

The bodycam footage also showed the moments after the crash when multiple officers surrounded the truck and a hail of gunfire could be heard.

Fifteen officers opened fire on Robinson in 15 to 20 seconds of continuous gunfire, officials said.

At the end of the bodycam footage, Robinson’s body could be seen lying next to his truck, on the driver’s side of the vehicle. The suspect died at the scene.

In February, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill’s Office announced its investigation into the incident found the use of deadly force by the officers was “justified.” The office did not intend to file charges against any of the officers involved.

When KSL-TV reached out to UHP for an interview, we were told, “Due to matters still pending with the incident, UHP is not available for an interview at this time.”

The Utah Highway Patrol, the Unified Police Department and the Salt Lake City Police Department all responded to the incident.


KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories