Church Withdraws Rezoning Request For Development Around Tooele Valley Temple
ERDA, Utah – A rezoning request for a residential development surrounding the planned Tooele Valley Temple has been withdrawn by The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“We acknowledge the efforts of those who have raised questions and sincere concerns about the Tooele Valley Temple project, including the residential development surrounding the temple,” the First Presidency said in a statement Tuesday. “There is a sincere desire on the part of the Church to avoid discord in the community. Therefore, regardless of the outcome of a pending signature-gathering effort, we have determined to withdraw our rezoning request for the residential portion of the temple project.”
Over 1,500 residents had signed a petition calling for a referendum to determine the rezoning of the temple site. Plans approved by the Tooele County Commission had originally called for 446 homes, ranging in size from a few half-acre lots to several high-density lots, surrounding the three-story, 70,000-square-foot temple.
The temple site near state Route 36 and Erda Way was announced in September 2019. April construction plans showed the temple was planned as part of a larger project that would turn 167 acres of farmland into a master-planned community, complete with a farmer’s market, playing fields and a pioneer cemetery.
“We look forward to working with local officials and community members to determine next steps to move forward with the construction of the temple. We hope those from all viewpoints on this matter will treat one another with kindness, civility and Christlike love,” the First Presidency said.
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)