SLCPD: Juvenile In Serious Condition After Police Shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A juvenile was hospitalized in serious condition after an officer discharged his firearm near 500 South and Navajo Street, according to Sgt. Keith Horrocks with the Salt Lake City Police Department.
Horrocks said officers were dispatched to the area around 10 p.m. Friday “on a violent psych issue involving a juvenile male who had made threats,” allegedly with a weapon.
Police made contact with the male, who then fled on foot from the address.
“During a short foot pursuit, an officer discharged his firearm, striking that subject,” Horrocks said. “Officers rendered medical aid to the subject on scene until medical personnel arrived, and that subject was transported to a local hospital in serious condition.”
Horrocks said the officer-involved critical incident protocol has been activated and a team comprised of officers from outside agencies will investigate the incident.
He anticipated that police would do a walkthrough of the incident within 10 business days.
“We have to look at the scene — if there’s any evidence at the scene … obviously our investigators are going to be looking at body camera footage that may be available from the officers that were involved, so those are things that are going to happen,” Horrocks said.
Police also asked for anyone in the area with doorbell or security camera video that may have captured the incident to contact them at 801-799-3000.
Update on Officer Involved Critical Incident at 500 South Navajo Street on September 4, 2020.
Posted by SLC Police on Saturday, September 5, 2020
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)