Crews Warning Of Fire Danger Just Days Removed From Winter Weather
SANDY, Utah – Just days removed from winter weather, crews were already warning of fire danger Monday amid windy, dry conditions.
Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands spokesman Jason Curry said early March is not too early for grass or brush fires to do some real damage.
“It will burn right to the snow,” Curry said. “Just because the snow is on the ground, just because we’re not in the 80s or 90s doesn’t mean we’re not going to have wildfires.”
Curry said several recent brush fires had already sparked across the state, including one earlier Monday caused by exploding targets.
Crews said another fire near 9600 South and 500 West in Sandy was started by industrial work.
“They were doing some metal work cutting,” said Sandy City Deputy Fire Chief Ryan McConaghie. “The sparks kicked out of the saw and onto the dry grass.”
McConaghie said firefighters quickly scrambled to keep the flames away from neighboring businesses and cars parked next to a fence.
“(There was) just some minor scorching on some of the bumpers, luckily, and we were able to move some of the other cars out of the way and get it knocked down before it did too much more damage,” he said.
McConaghie acknowledged the situation could have been far worse if it had burned around homes and not near an I-15 wall and along a rail line.
“Had it been an open field or anything like that, it could have been really bad,” McConaghie said.
Curry urged everyone to use caution outside, noting that he expected similar crowds to last year outdoors.
“Last year was a record-breaker for human-caused fires,” Curry said. “We need people to be careful. We’re begging — literally begging and pleading with the public.”
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)