New Exterior, Underground Images Released Of Salt Lake Temple Renovation
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – New images of the Salt Lake Temple renovation project have been released, including photos from extensive tunnel work at the building’s foundation.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the tunnel images Friday, showing the work underway underneath North Temple to connect the Conference Center parking lot to the new underground entrance to the temple.
A news release said the tunnel work was about 80% complete.
Workers have surrounded the temple on three sides with a type of retaining wall.
The temple’s copper roof has been removed and replaced with temporary material. Crews will install additional steel trusses, which project officials said are an important part of the seismic strengthening of the granite structure.
The temple closed for the renovation project in Dec. 2019 . The project was expected to be finished in 2024.
In March, the First Presidency announced several modifications to the renovation project to increase capacity, impacting live sessions.
The modifications included adding a second baptistry, additional instruction and sealing rooms, discontinue the temple cafeteria.
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 19689)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 7534)
- Three moose take a dip in a North Salt Lake pool (pageviews: 4062)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3960)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3749)
- Bodies of 3 missing kids, woman found in Minnesota lake (pageviews: 3586)