New Exterior, Underground Images Released Of Salt Lake Temple Renovation
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – New images of the Salt Lake Temple renovation project have been released, including photos from extensive tunnel work at the building’s foundation.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the tunnel images Friday, showing the work underway underneath North Temple to connect the Conference Center parking lot to the new underground entrance to the temple.
A news release said the tunnel work was about 80% complete.
Workers have surrounded the temple on three sides with a type of retaining wall.
The temple’s copper roof has been removed and replaced with temporary material. Crews will install additional steel trusses, which project officials said are an important part of the seismic strengthening of the granite structure.
The temple closed for the renovation project in Dec. 2019 . The project was expected to be finished in 2024.
In March, the First Presidency announced several modifications to the renovation project to increase capacity, impacting live sessions.
The modifications included adding a second baptistry, additional instruction and sealing rooms, discontinue the temple cafeteria.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)