Church Historical Sites Closed By Pandemic To Reopen In May
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A plan has been approved for the phased-in reopening of historical sites of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The sites were closed as a precaution against spread of coronavirus.
The announcement was made Thursday by the First Presidency.
Each site will consider local guidelines and missionary availability before opening, a news release said.
The locations in Utah included the Brigham Young Winter Home and Office, Hamblin Home, and St. George Tabernacle, which will all reopen on May 1. Cove Fort will reopen on May 28.
The First Presidency has approved the reopening of Church historic sites in May 2021. These sites will reopen steadily based on local conditions, government guidelines and missionary staffing availability.
— The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (@Ch_JesusChrist) April 22, 2021
“We’re thrilled that the Church’s historic sites will be open to visitors this summer,” said Church Historian and Recorder Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. of the Seventy. “We know people are anxious to visit and the missionaries are eager to welcome them. Visiting the sites is a great way for individuals and families to enhance their understanding of Church history. Walking the paths and streets where the early Saints walked and visiting their homes and shops provides an immersive experience with the past. We hope in this year of ‘Come, Follow Me’ study of the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history, many people will have an opportunity to visit the sites, either in person or via a virtual tour. We are prepared to welcome them.”
The news release said reservations will be required and visitors are encouraged to register ahead of time. Groups of more than 20 will not be allowed in 2021.
Social distancing and face masks are required.
The latest information will be posted regularly on the individual websites and Facebook pages for each site.
Here is a list of the sites and when they are scheduled to reopen.
- Grandin Building: Book of Mormon Publication Site
- Hill Cumorah
- Sacred Grove
- Whitmer Farm: Church Organization Site
- Rare Wolverine Sighting Reported At Antelope Island State Park (pageviews: 8369)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4524)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4477)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 4471)
- Woman Released From Hospital After Surviving 5 Months In The Wild (pageviews: 4073)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 3888)
- Jurassic Quest Brings Life-Size Dino Exhibit To Utah (pageviews: 2812)
- Utah Brothers Volunteer For Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Children (pageviews: 2468)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters (pageviews: 2233)