Man found dead in South Salt Lake road identified
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah — Police have identified the man that died following an altercation in South Salt Lake as 27-year-old Romeo Charles Stevens.
Danielle Croyle, public information officer for the South Salt Lake Police Department, said they received multiple calls reporting gunshots heard in the area of Main Street and Utopia Avenue around 10:14 p.m. Monday.
Police arrived on the scene and found the man lying on Main Street, south of Utopia Avenue, late Monday night. They believe the incident started as an altercation in the WinCo parking lot that escalated before the gunshots were heard.
South Salt Lake Police PIO says:
– initial info they got as to why all this went down goes back to altercation here in WinCo Foods Parking Lot
— Karah Brackin (@KB_ON_TV) May 10, 2022
Croyle said as of Tuesday morning, there are no suspects in custody.
“We don’t know if we have a singular suspect or multiple suspects at this point,” she said.
Croyle said they do think this was not a random act. Instead, they think the incident involved associates of some sort, with the altercation escalating into the deadly scene.
With crime scene tape blocking off much of the back parking lot, Burbank Murray said he couldn’t get to his truck for several hours.
“It’s been more aggressive in this area,” Murray said.
Still, he said those kinds of incidents can happen anywhere.
“It’ll move around,” he said.
Just after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, the South Salt Lake Police Department released two surveillance images, adding that they were looking to identify the driver and occupants driving in a dark blue Chevy Impala, with possible year range 2014-2020.
“The vehicle was last seen around 10:15 p.m. southbound on Main Street. The vehicle was leaving the WinCo parking lot through the southwest exit onto Main Street,” read a Facebook post from the agency.
Police say the occupants are “believed to be known associates” of Stevens.
“The occupants are male age range 18-35 years.”
Anyone with information related to the case was asked to call police at 801-840-4000.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)