1 dead following 9-car crash on State Street in Sandy
SANDY, Utah — One person was killed and several were injured following a nine-car crash on State Street in Sandy.
Officers said speed was a factor in the crash, which occurred around 8:45 a.m. when a white Toyota 4Runner that was heading northbound on State Street sped through a red light at 10600 South.
The Toyota hit a gray Ford F-150, and the two vehicles redirected and struck seven additional vehicles that were waiting for the southbound State Street light to change.
The driver of the white Toyota 4Runner was identified Friday afternoon as 35-year-old Marylee Benavidez of Sandy, Utah. Police said she died from her injuries as well as a German Shepherd that was in her car.
Two people involved in the crash were hospitalized with serious injuries while others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Police said they are investigating if other factors, such as drugs or alcohol, were factors in the crash. Both directions of State Street reopened around 1:30 p.m. Friday.
A GoFundMe* page has been set up to help with Benavidez’s funeral costs.
100 Deadliest Days
Friday marks the start of Memorial Day weekend, considered the beginning of the 100 deadliest days on Utah’s roads.
In 2021, the deaths on Utah roads hit a nearly 20-year high. So far in 2022, more than 115 people have lost their lives on Utah roads, which is significantly higher than one year ago.
In 2021, there were 108 fatalities by this point in the year, and in 2020 there were 86 fatalities.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)