Update: Salt Lake Police wound arson suspect
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City police shot and wounded a man Saturday night who was suspected of setting his yard on fire.
Firefighters responded to the yard fire on the 1400 block of South Utahna Drive just after 8 p.m.
The man threatened to shoot firefighters and they called police.
As the officers arrived, they were told the suspect had firearms.
A statement from Salt Lake Police said, “Officers could see smoke billowing from the yard. The officers kept a safe distance and began multiple attempts to communicate with the man.”
Those attempts were not successful and the man went into his house and came out with a firearm.
As he pointed it at police officers they fired shots.
The man ran back into his house and refused to come out. Police eventually talked the suspect into coming out of his home and officers took him into custody.
Paramedics took him to a hospital where police said he was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police have not released his name.
Sgt. Mark Wian provides media & community members an update on the officer-involved-critical incident.
The suspect remains in the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) July 10, 2022
“Tonight, while responding to protect our brothers and sisters with the Salt Lake City Fire Department and neighbors, two of our officers found themselves in a situation that required them to use deadly force,” SLCPD Chief Mike Brown said. “I’m proud of our officers’ courage. This was a dynamic situation that put them, and potentially others, in imminent danger.”
The two police officers involved in the shooting were not injured but they are now on administrative leave which is the standard procedure following an officer-involved shooting.
Brown praised firefighters for staying focused on the fire and the paramedics who cared for the injured suspect.
The Salt Lake Officer-Involved Critical Incent team will now investigate the incident and whether the suspect fired his weapon.
Police asked anyone who has photos or video of the scene to call 801-799-3000 and reference case 22-129713.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)