Christmas lights and performances: here are the things you can do on Temple Square despite construction
SALT LAKE CITY — With Temple Square under its 3rd year of construction, here are Christmas activities and opportunities still offered this Christmas season.
The Church News for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced a variety of activities available on and around Temple Square from performances to giving machines to museum displays.
Christmas lights decorating the square and Conference Center will turn on Nov. 25 from 4:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. and from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. daily until Jan. 1, 2023.
Nativities from around the world will be on display at the Assembly Hall from Nov. 26- Dec. 31.
Performances and concerts
Daily Christmas Concerts will be performed by local choirs and performers including various string, flute, guitar, and bell groups from Nov. 26 through Dec. 23. Performances are at the Assembly Hall, City Creek Center by the Giving Machines, Conference Center lobby, and Church History Museum.
A detailed schedule with specific times and performing groups can be found here.
“Peace on Earth” animated nativity
A four-minute presentation using shadow graphics, narration, and music to tell the story of the birth of Jesus Christ, all projected on the ceiling of the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Available nightly Nov. 25 through New Year’s Eve from 6-9 p.m. The show will repeat every 10 minutes, alternating between English and Spanish.
Christmas Around the World Display
A new display at the Family History Library showcases Christmas foods and traditions from different countries from Nov. 29 through Dec. 31.
“Light the World” Giving Machines
The service vending machines allow the public to purchase and donate humanitarian services and items such as a water, child vaccines, beds, educational supplies and more. Several are located at City Creek Center beginning Nov. 22. Those unable to visit a physical machine can participate online at LightTheWorld.org/give. Last year, the giving machines raised over $5.8 million in donations.
“Savior of the World: His Birth and Resurrection”
The popular musical production features scenes surrounding the birth, life and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Two-hour performances will run Tuesdays through Saturdays from Nov. 25 through Dec. 30 at 7:30 p.m. in the Conference Center Little Theater. Saturday matinees are on Dec. 3 and Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. There will be no evening performance on December 24. Tickets are required but are free. Reserve a maximum of four tickets online at TempleSquare.org/events or by calling 801-570-0080 (locally) or toll-free 1-866-537-8457.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)