LOCAL NEWS

Industrial size power washing truck believed to be cause of daycare carbon monoxide leak

Nov 30, 2023, 6:24 PM | Updated: 7:38 pm

DRAPER — The carbon monoxide leak at American Preparatory Academy’s daycare in Draper Wednesday afternoon made dozens sick, including several children.

“At 4 o’clock, we had a notification from our daycare director,” American Preparatory Academy’s executive director Carolyn Sharette said. “They were evacuating the building and they had called the fire department due to a carbon monoxide scare, they thought.”

Potentially 45 preschoolers and 10 adults exposed to carbon monoxide at American Prep Academy

Fire officials now believe a truck with an industrial sized power washer may have been the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that sickened dozens and sent several kids to the hospital.

“Carbon monoxide poisoning, it takes a long time sometimes when they’re low levels, but the symptoms, dizziness, headache, are kind of hard to know in a child,” Sharette said. “I think it was actually some of the workers who were feeling it, the adults were reporting it. It wasn’t the children so much. It was the adults who were noticing headaches and dizziness and told her.”

Draper City’s Fire Marshall Don Buckley said the truck was running for a least a portion of the day Wednesday and believes that the exhaust may have made its way through an open door at American Preparatory’s Early Learning Center.

“Every gas-powered machine puts out carbon monoxide,” he warned.

The building is located at 12892 Pony Express Rd. The Early Learning Center is in the building that also houses the district offices, which are under construction.

Buckley qualified, that they are still investigating the details.

“Our assumption at this point in time is some exhaust from it running came into the building worked its way throughout the building. Well, that can happen. It was power washer….But that can happen very easily. If you leave your garage door open for too long and run your vehicle you’re going to have carbon monoxide in your garage.”

Buckly called it an accident, and “the perfect storm.”

“It had nothing to do with the HVAC, the heating and air conditioning unit. It had nothing to do with that whatsoever. It was construction work being done. On the side that was being rebuilt and remodeled. That caused the issue. Things like that happen,” Buckley said.

More than a dozen people got sick from the odorless, colorless gas, including several children. Buckly estimates 14 people in all were sickened, with nine people going to the hospital, five adults and four children.

“We did have people that I didn’t know had a headache or were dizzy, so they went and got checked out,” Sharette said.

Some parents, he said, decided to drive their kids to the hospital because they were already home by the time they started having symptoms.

“None of the blood levels that we got back from any of our people who were telling us about their experience at the hospital said they indicated they were in any danger of life-threatening illness or anything like that,” Sharette said.

Buckly said everyone who went to the hospital has now been released.

He’s also applauding the staff at American Preparatory Academy saying this could have been much worse.

“This turned out very well. And I applaud the staff for that –and noticing a problem and getting the kids out,” Buckly said.

Buckly said the scare is a sobering reminder for parents, families, schools and daycares alike.

“It is a silent, deadly killer,” he said.

Sharette said the school checked all of their existing detectors to make sure they’re working properly.

“The fire department, they came in and found that the carbon monoxide detectors were alerting but not in an audible way,” she said.

They also had new ones around the building Thursday.

He recommends checking that your carbon monoxide detectors in your home are working and are on every floor of your home. Schools are required to have them. Many daycares choose to but Buckly said they aren’t required to have them.

He also recommends making sure vents are clear of snow, checking fluids, and especially those heaters.

“It’s a big deal this time of year get your furnaces checked.”

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Senate President Stuart Adams, R-Layton, and Sen. Curt Bramble, R-Provo, react to a reporter’s qu...

Daniella Rivera and Annie Knox, KSL TV

‘More secrecy’: Utah lawmakers advance bills targeting government transparency

Several bills would chip away at government transparency in Utah, including one proposal that’s a direct response to KSL’s fight for public records. A First Amendment attorney says he’s alarmed.

17 minutes ago

The scene of the fatal crash near 12300 S. State Street....

Michael Houck

Driver dead after experiencing a medical emergency, Draper police say

A person has died after experiencing a medical issue while driving Thursday night in Draper.

40 minutes ago

New Jersey Devils goaltender Akira Schmid, front left, makes a save in front of New York Rangers ri...

Lindsay Aerts

Bill to raise SLC tax for NHL stadium funding advances, SLC leaders supportive

Over the last two days the Utah legislature has unveiled two major plans to help finance major league sports stadiums. On Thursday a Senate committee advanced the plan to fund the National Hockey League stadium and a “sports and entertainment” district downtown, which includes a sales tax increase of up to .5% in Salt Lake City.

1 hour ago

Henry Barlow inside his cattle processing plant...

Alex Cabrero

‘We are going to feed American beef to the Americans’: Meat packing plant to open in Richfield

A new cattle processing plant in central Utah is expected to improve the state's food supply chain.

2 hours ago

Chris and Aimee Tyler, speaking about their experience with Chris's pancreatic cancer diagnosis....

Emma Benson

‘Cancer can affect anybody’: Utah couple processes pancreatic cancer diagnosis

Pancreatic cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in the U.S. and often goes undetected until it's advanced. One Utah County man is fighting for more time with his loved ones.

3 hours ago

U.S. Forest Service Utah Avalanche Center forecasters nearly avoiding sliding off the edge of a mou...

Mike Anderson

Avalanche was ‘too close for comfort,’ for forecasters with Utah Avalanche Center

Forecasters with the US Forest Service Utah Avalanche Center were caught off-guard Wednesday as they triggered an avalanche just next to their ski tracks.

3 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light Up Your Home With These Top Lighting Trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for Hassle-Free Computer Repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Close up of finger on keyboard button with number 11 logo...

PC Laptops

7 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Laptop to Windows 11

Explore the benefits of upgrading to Windows 11 for a smoother, more secure, and feature-packed computing experience.

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Users display warnings about the use of artificial intelligence (AI), access to malicious software ...

Les Olson

How to Stay Safe from Cybersecurity Threats

Read our tips for reading for how to respond to rising cybersecurity threats in 2023 and beyond to keep yourself and your company safe.

Industrial size power washing truck believed to be cause of daycare carbon monoxide leak