LOCAL NEWS

Salt Lake City family suffers tragic death days after house fire

Mar 19, 2024, 7:23 AM | Updated: Mar 20, 2024, 11:42 am

SALT LAKE CITY — A family is sharing their heartache after a chain of terrible events in just a matter of days. First, it was a house fire that they believed played a role in the next tragedy.
For Sasha Lunt’s extended family, a house on 500 South has been home for nearly 60 years.

It’s the home where her mother grew up, along with her aunt and uncles. Her father grew up just across the street.

All of the family’s heirlooms have been kept within those walls.

But now all of that history is gone.

“My uncle was a war veteran. When he returned home from the war, he was murdered, unfortunately, and we lost his American flag and everything that we owned for him,” she explained.

The family home, where Lunt’s aunt and two uncles lived, caught fire in the middle of the night on March 8. She said her uncles and aunt escaped, but their four cats did not.

Lunt said the fire appears to have started from an electrical issue on the back porch.

The flames spread to the neighbor’s home, causing two people to flee from inside. Everyone survived, but everything was destroyed.

The back of Sasha Lunt’s family home after it caught fire on March 8. (Photo courtesy: Sasha Lunt)

For Lunt and her family, was tragic enough. Then just days later, her father found one of Lunt’s uncles dead in the hotel room he had been staying in while displaced from the fire.

She explained that Rick Collins had just been released after being hospitalized from the fire.

“We believe it was some heart condition that we weren’t fully aware of, and we were made aware of while he was hospitalized,” Lunt said. “He passed away two days after being released from the hospital.”

Lunt believes the fire potentially made Uncle Rick’s heart condition worse.

She said they spent Monday at the mortuary, where her 5-year-old nephew Cory — Rick’s best bud — said goodbye to his favorite family member.

They have to explain to Cory why Uncle Rick is no longer here, and why they can’t go to Uncle Rick’s house.

Rick Collins in the hospital being visited by Lunt’s nephew, Cory. (Photo courtesy: Sasha Lunt)

“This has been probably the hardest time of our lives,” Lunt said. “I would say there’s no way for a family to plan for, first of all, a fire, and then a death of a family member.”

She said their other uncle had to go to the hospital last week, also with health complications they believe were made worse by the fire.

They’re hoping he’ll be OK, as they try to figure out what’s next.

“Now it’s just getting through the death, and figuring out what to do going forward,” Lunt said.

She said the Red Cross has been helping the family, and that homeowner’s insurance is covering some things but not everything — including the death of Collins. A family friend started a GoFundMe* to help with funeral, medical, and fire recovery costs.


*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

A man stands near what was discovered to be a well that opened up in a Spanish Fork man's Driveway....

Brianna Chavez

Spanish Fork homeowner finds old well under his driveway

After years of gradual change in one Spanish Fork homeowner's driveway, a well was discovered after part of the concrete caved in.

6 hours ago

Michael Cook, who was running for the Republican nomination for Spanish Fork's District 25 senate s...

Carlysle Price and Michael Houck, KSL TV

Former Senate candidate charged for refusing to leave a USPS while gathering signatures

Former Republican candidate Michael Cook is facing two charges after allegedly attempting to gather signatures in a federal building on March 29.

8 hours ago

FILE: A Summit County Sheriff's Office patrol vehicle. (KSL TV)...

Alexander Campbell

Multiple Summit County businesses affected by counterfeit scheme, one arrested in connection

After reports of businesses being passed counterfeit money, one man is arrested in Summit County and facing drug and forgery charges.

8 hours ago

Green grass and wildflowers grow as a cyclist rides on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in the foothi...

Carter Williams

Salt Lake City hits 1st 80-degree day of year, ties 88-year-old record

Utah's capital tied an 88-year-old temperature record on Friday as the high temperature at Salt Lake City International Airport surpassed 80 degrees for the first time this year.

8 hours ago

The raised waters Parleys Creek in Sugar House Park as the warm weather melts snow in the mountains...

Emma Benson

‘Keep away’: Salt Lake City officials urge water safety amid spring runoff

Salt Lake City officials warn everyone of high waters near parks and trails as warm weather melts the mountain snow.

9 hours ago

Kids and teens don't need to worry about late fees from Salt Lake Count libraries....

Lindsay Aerts

Salt Lake County libraries remove late fees for kids and teens

At a Thursday ceremony at the Granite branch, Salt Lake County leaders highlighted that county libraries will no longer charge late fees on books, music, and movies for kids and teens.

9 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why Printer Security Should Be Top of Mind for Your Business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light Up Your Home With These Top Lighting Trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for Hassle-Free Computer Repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Close up of finger on keyboard button with number 11 logo...

PC Laptops

7 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Laptop to Windows 11

Explore the benefits of upgrading to Windows 11 for a smoother, more secure, and feature-packed computing experience.

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Salt Lake City family suffers tragic death days after house fire