Long Lines, Wait Times Didn’t Stop Utah Voters
PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – Counting votes is taking a fair amount of time this year because voters turned out in record numbers.
That also meant long lines and waiting times at the polls. In Utah County, from Lehi to American Fork, Provo and Orem, that wait extended more than two hours in some cases.
Those long lines didn’t stop voters from heading out to cast their votes, though.
Utah County used a vote-by-mail system. However, for those who didn’t register in time, had recently moved, didn’t get a ballot in the mail or simply wanted to vote in person, they had to wait.
Voters who were in line before 8 p.m. could stay to cast their ballots. With hours-long waiting times, the last voter left the polls just after 11:30 p.m.
At the voting location at the Lions Club in Pleasant Grove, the long lines were due in part because there were only five voting machines available.
Voters said it was worth the wait, though.
“We got here about quarter to six,” said one voter at 9:15 p.m. “We just finished up!”
“I’ve never seen a line this long, ever, in my 30 years of voting,” laughed another resident. “It’s been really a long evening, but I’m glad for the turnout. I’m happy to vote.”
In Salt Lake County, the lines were dominated by people who wanted to register to vote. At times the wait was about an hour, but the line never extended outside the county government building.
Many of those voters were young Utahns registering for the first time.
“I really didn’t feel like voting was all that important in high school or junior high,” said Salt Lake City resident David Van Sickle. “Now that I’m getting older and actually seeing for myself what actually goes on, it’s incredible to me what everyone’s voice can actually achieve.”
Those last-minute, late-night votes could be critical in deciding some of Utah’s key races.
Watch KSL TV’s results page to see how those races are shaping up as the votes come in.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)