Twins joined at the head are separated after 12-hour surgery in Israel
(CNN) — One-year-old Israeli twin girls, who were born joined back-to-back at the head, have been separated after a rare and complicated surgery.
The sisters, whose names were not provided, underwent a 12-hour operation at Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba, Israel last week.
The procedure was extremely rare, the hospital said in a statement on Sunday, and came after months of preparation.
Following the operation, the twins can now face each other for the first time since they were born in August last year.
Israeli twins born conjoined back-to-back finally see each other after surgery.
in a rare and complex operation, Israeli doctors successfully separated a pair of twins conjoined at the head, utilizing 3D and virtual reality models.
— Yonatan Gonen (@GonenYonatan) September 5, 2021
“This is a rare and complex operation performed so far in the world only about 20 times, and for the first time in Israel,” Mickey Gideon, director of pediatric neurosurgery at Soroka Medical Center, said in a statement.
Gideon said the operation’s success reinforced “the sense of mission that made us doctors.”
But he cautioned that “the next few days will be critical in the process of the twins’ recovery.”
Dozens of staff cared for the twins and prepared them for surgery, the hospital said.
The long road to the operation itself began several months ago, when skin and tissue expanders were introduced under the girls’ scalps, in order to stretch the skin, allowing surgeons to close the scalps after the separation.
The surgery was planned with 3D models and virtual reality technology and the months-long process involved a total of 50 hospital staff.
Conjoined twins occur once every 200,000 live births, according to the University of Minnesota. They are always identical and most are female.
It is especially rare for twins to be joined at the head. Last year, twin girls who were also conjoined back-to-back at the head were separated in a hospital in the Vatican.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)