Woman struck by arrow in West Valley Walmart parking lot
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A woman walking to her car in a Walmart parking lot is recovering after getting hit in the leg by a stray arrow.
The incident happened Saturday at 5675 W. 6200 South in West Valley City.
Roxeanne Vainuku, public information officer for the West Valley City Police Department, told KSL TV a man set up a target for archery practice in the field next to the Walmart when one of his arrows missed and went sailing into the parking lot, hitting a woman in the leg.
Damien Laolagi heard the woman screaming as she was hit. He had just loaded his groceries into his car.
“I rushed like any good man would do,” Laolagi said. “When I got closer, I saw like a black straight thing going through her leg.”
It was an arrow, lodged in her leg. It went all the way through.
At that moment, Laolagi said the scene turned chaotic. No one knew if more arrows were coming.
“I myself was scared too because I didn’t want to get struck by an arrow from out of nowhere.”
He started warning others in the parking lot.
“I saw a man walking with his four kids, and I’m like, ‘Please take your kids and put them in the car because you never know if there’s another arrow coming,’” Laolagi said.
The victim was treated for her injuries.
Vainuku said charges will be screened against the man.
“This was accidental, but not, obviously, the smartest thing in the world,” Vainuku said. “So there are consequences for that. But it wasn’t an intentional act.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9148)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 5383)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 3392)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 2595)
- Live (pageviews: 2201)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 2139)