LOCAL NEWS

Lehi mother and newborn recovering after house fire Sunday

Jan 22, 2024, 6:02 PM | Updated: Jan 29, 2024, 9:02 am

LEHI — A Lehi mother and her newborn baby are recovering after a fire destroyed most of their belongings Sunday.

This fire started around 3:20 p.m. in the basement apartment of the home Myriam Carlos was renting near 421 W. 1800 North in Lehi. Carlos and her 13-day-old baby, along with her father, live on the top floor.

Smoke coming from the vents

“My dad said there was smoke coming out of the vents,” Carlos said.

According to the Lehi Fire Department, it appears a space heater possibly being played with in a kid’s basement bedroom may have caused the fire. Carlos said the woman and two children living in the basement apartment were already outside when she escaped with her baby.

“I just walked out with what I had in my baby’s blanket,” Carlos said.

Carlos said she felt helpless as they watched the fire spread from the basement of the home into her upper-floor living space.

“This was my restarting point, I had worked so hard to get this place for myself,” Carlos said while standing in front of the home Monday. “I’m a single mother, I worked so hard to get everything for her.”

Carlos said she’s grateful for neighbors who have quickly reached out to help her get back on her feet. She says one of her neighbors posted about the fire on the Lehi Link Facebook page and already several people have offered donations.

“I have my little human to fight for,” Carlos said. “It’s hard asking for help sometimes, but the community has been reaching out through those posts.”

Items saved

On Monday, when Carlos stopped by the house, she found that Lehi firefighters had saved a couple of bins from her apartment that had old clothing she was planning to donate. She was able to pull a few things out that she might be able to wash and use over the next few days. She said the American Red Cross of Utah has also provided her with emergency funds to buy a few necessities for herself and her daughter.

Anyone wanting to help Carlos and her daughter is encouraged to visit the “Lehi Link” Facebook page and contact the author of the post. Donations can also be made directly to Carlos through her Venmo* account @myriamc8 or a GoFundMe* she has set up.


*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

The cost of homeowner's insurance in Utah has risen by double digits since 2022, impacting both cur...

Daniel Woodruff

Cost of homeowner’s insurance in Utah up by double digits each year since 2022

Homeowner's insurance costs have risen by double-digit percentages for the last three years. The Utah insurance commissioner has concerns, and advice.

8 minutes ago

Four people associated with the New Yorker nightclub in Salt Lake City are now facing criminal char...

Pat Reavy, KSL.com

Employees of New Yorker nightclub face money laundering, other charges

Four people associated with the New Yorker nightclub in Salt Lake City are now facing criminal charges following a yearlong investigation into the now-closed business.

49 minutes ago

FILE (Chopper 5)...

Eliza Pace

Free, family-friendly 4th of July celebration to be held at the Gateway

The Gateway is preparing to host a 4th of July celebration complete with live music and fireworks. 

3 hours ago

(KSL TV)...

Casey Scott

Casey Scott surprises Utahns with free gas cards and bro hugs at Sugar House Park

It's Wednesday, which means Casey Scott was surprising a few lucky Utahns with $50 gas cards, Sinclair Oil prize packs and bro hugs! Today, Casey was running around Sugar House Park in Salt Lake City.

4 hours ago

A man and young girl were injured following a motorcycle accident on Tuesday....

Eliza Pace

19-year-old man arrested in connection to Salt Lake City homicide

A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of shooting and killing 30-year-old Nico Christopher Patino in May.

5 hours ago

Police arresting the suspect in a double homicide in St. George on June 19, 2024....

Josh Ellis

Two people shot, killed in southern Utah home; suspect taken into custody

Police say two people were shot and killed and officers issued a shelter-in-place order as they search for a suspect who is considered armed and dangerous.

12 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Lehi mother and newborn recovering after house fire Sunday