More Temple Closures Announced By Church Officials
SALT LAKE CITY — A day after announcing limited ordinance work at temples across the world, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has temporarily closed nearly two dozen temples.
The announcement was made in a letter to church members from the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles Saturday morning. The temporary closure was in response to “rapidly changing health conditions around the world” related to the spread of coronavirus.
The announcement includes the temporary closure of 26 temples because of COVID-19 concerns: 9 in North America, 6 in South America, 5 in Europe and 6 in Asia – some of which had already been closed.
Some temples have already closed or will be closed, starting Monday, March 16. The temporary closures include the following:
- Boston Massachusetts Temple
- Hartford Connecticut Temple
- Louisville Kentucky Temple
- Manhattan New York Temple
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple
- Seattle Washington Temple
- St. Louis Missouri Temple
- Toronto Ontario Temple
- Vancouver British Columbia Temple
- Asunción Paraguay Temple
- Campinas Brazil Temple
- Guayaquil Ecuador Temple
- Porto Alegre Brazil Temple
- Recife Brazil Temple
- São Paulo Brazil Temple
- Cebu City Philippines Temple
- Fukuoka Japan Temple
- Manila Philippines Temple
- Sapporo Japan Temple
- Seoul Korea Temple
- Taipei Taiwan Temple
- Copenhagen Denmark Temple
- Helsinki Finland Temple
- Lisbon Portugal Temple
- Rome Italy Temple
- The Hague Netherlands Temple
The Hamilton New Zealand Temple, Hong Kong China Temple, Tokyo Japan Temple, Mesa Arizona Temple, St. George Utah Temple, Salt Lake City Temple and Washington DC Temple had already been closed for renovations.
The announcement came a day after Church officials made a statement about temporary adjustments to temple work and the closure of public areas near local Church buildings.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)